Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MTU problem with IPsec tunnel

Hi all,

I have three tunnel interfaces, one main and two backup. MTU and MSS on all tunnel interfaces I have configured (Cisco 3825):

ip mtu 1400

ip tcp adjust-mss 1340

When 1st tunnel interface is up I have internet connnection, but when I shutdown 1st interface it shows this message and I lose internet:

*Jul 17 08:59:03.270: CRYPTO_ENGINE: locally-sourced pkt w/DF bit set is too big,ip->tl=1380, mtu=1342

When I shutdown 2nd interface, it also shows that message and no inetrnet connection.

What to do?

Thanks

1 REPLY

MTU problem with IPsec tunnel

Hi,

Well, to get to the bottom the issue, we would need the show-tech of the device. If not the complete one then just the show-version and details of show interface and VPN relevant configuration.

Possibly you can try the following and check if the issue gets resolved.

Configure "crypto ipsec df-bit clear" and re-configure
"tunnel-path-mtu-discovery".

Also, configure "ip mtu 1400" under the tunnel interfaces: int tun X ip mtu 1400

crypto ipsec df-bit [clear | set | copy]

Example:
Router(config)# crypto ipsec df-hit set

Sets the DF bit for the encapsulating header in tunnel mode for all interfaces.

*   The clear keyword clears the DF bit in the outer IP header, and the router may
fragment the packet to add the IP Security (IPSec) encapsulation.
*   The set keyword sets the DF bit in the outer IP header, however, the router may
fragment the packet if the original packet had the DF bit cleared.
*   The copy keyword has the router look in the original packet for the outer DF bit
setting. The copy keyword is the default setting.

Regards,
Abhishek Purohit
CCIE-S- 35269

Regards, Abhishek Purohit CCIE-S- 35269
Views
Helpful
Replies