cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtaining Cicso VPN Client

noctech73
Level 1
Level 1

I am an independent contractor in need of the Cisco VPN Client for both Windows and Mac. Last I recall (circa 2006) both of these were free and readily avaialble but apparently one must now be a Cisco Partner if I understand correctly.

I have no need to become a Cisco Partner but my customer needs me to log in remotely.

Any advice on how I can obtain these Clients?

Thanks,

Richard

24 Replies 24

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would advise you to obtain the installation package from your customer. If they are already using the VPN Client, that means they would already have the installation package or they would have access to download the software from Cisco or through their Partner.

Jennifer,

Unfortunately the client is unable to locate the VNC software.

If Cisco is provided with the S/N of the Unit (or other info as needed), from whom can the VNC Client be obtained?

Thank you!

what do you mean by VNC software? VNC is not a Cisco software.

VNC: http://www.realvnc.com/

I'm sorry, my typo. I meant the Cisco VPN Client software.

Here is the link to download Cisco VPN Client sofware:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=281940730&flowid=4466&softwareid=282364316&os=Windows

Please kindly note that you would need to have a CCO ID that entitles you to download software from cisco.com site to be able to download the software.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Jen, it helps very much indeed.

>Please kindly note that you would need to have a CCO ID that entitles  you to download software from cisco.com site to be able to download the  software.

I take it the customer will have this? I am unfamillar with the term "CCO ID".

They did have a CD that shipped with the ASA-5505 but are unable to locate it. Can (and how) is another copy obtainable?

Again, thank you.

You can obtain all software from cisco.com website, however, you will need to have a cisco.com ID (CCO ID) that is linked to a Smartnet contract to be able to download software.

I assume the customer should have one.

CCO ID = Cisco User ID.

I have that but only in so much as it will allow me to log into the Site, Forums, etc. I take it that it is more than that?

Thanks

I think that it is fairly clear that Richard (or Lyman or whoever is posting as the ID changes) does not have download privileges from CCO. So the question becomes does their client have a maintenance contract that would allow them to download software? If the client does have download privileges, then the client could download the software and provide it to them. If the client does not have a maintenance contract then perhaps the client should think about purchasing a maintenance contract.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you both. 'Rich' is a nickname.

I had been told that a CD shipped with the ASA-5505 and that the CD included the Cisco VPN Client. Is this correct? If not, then it is pointless to look for the CD soley for the purpose of the VPN Software.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

Typically the ASA 5505 does ship with a CD that includes the VPN client. If the customer can find the CD then that is the easy solution. If the customer does not find the CD then what we have been talking about are alternatives to be able to download copies of the VPN client that depend on having a maintenance contract (SmartNet) that would include code download privileges.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the help, Rick, greatly appreciated.

Best,

Rich

Greetings,

Once you're connected with the Cisco VPN Client, what interface is used to work with the device? I.e., a web browser?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

I am not clear what you are really asking here. Your original post talked about needing the VPN client so that you could connect to an ASA at a customer site. The VPN connection could give you access to any device within the customer network. If you are talking about accessing the ASA and working with it then there are several options depending on how the ASA has been configured. One possibility is to telnet to the ASA and work with the command line interface on the ASA. A better (more secure) alternative would be to SSH to the ASA and work with the command line interface. Or another alternative would be to work from the GUI. on the ASA the GUI is ASDM. If it is not the ASA then what device are you asking about?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick