cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtaining GBIC serial numbers remotely

kgfall2004
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if its possible to obtain the serial numbers of the GBIC's in a 3550 or 2950 switch without actually pulling them out to read the serial numbers off the case ? I know that when you insert a gbic the IOS reads the GBIC's imbedded serial number to be sure that the GBIC is a Cisco part.

7 Replies 7

GhostLover
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know too!

jlopezjim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

You can obtain it using SNMP, with the variable entPhysicalSerialNum (.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11-.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.entityMIB.entityMIBObjects.entityPhysical.entPhysicalTable.entPhysicalEntry.entPhysicalSerialNum).

It doesn't work with gigastack-GBICs.

I don't know if there is any command to get it in the CLI.

Regards.

javentre
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure about 3550s specifically - but on a 3750 this works:

Switch#sh idprom interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/28

General SFP Information

-----------------------------------------------

Identifier : 0x03

Connector : 0x07

Transceiver : 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x20 0x40 0x0C 0x00

Encoding : 0x01

BR_Nominal : 0x0C

Vendor Name : CISCO-AGILENT

Vendor Part Number : QDBR-5898K

Vendor Revision : 0x20 0x20 0x20 0x20

Vendor Serial Number : A21354623

-----------------------------------------------

Hi,

on a 6509 I had this response...

"GBIC is not security enabled"

any idea what it means?

thanks

I have 3550 and I am using following command

#sh inventory raw

NAME: "GigabitEthernet0/2", DESCR: "longwave fiber gigabit ethernet port adapter"

PID: GBIC_LX , VID: 20 20 20 20, SN: JUT084600E4

Hope useful to u

Regards

Mahesh

Hi ,

The reason why you are seeing the GBIC is not security enabled? is because you are using older types or models of GBICs.

Older types or models of GBICs that are not security enabled do not mean they are defective. Issuing sh idprom? (IOS) command will not work on older GBICs (sh idprom command is supported on 12.1(19) or later for security enabled GBICs). The security enabled GBIC modules have a serial EEPROM that contains the serial number/manufacturer, security code and cyclic redundancy check (CRC). When a GBIC module is inserted into a switch, the software reads the EEPROM to recompute the security code and CRC. The software generates an error message if the CRC is invalid or if the recomputed security code does not match the one stored in the EEPROM. All 1000BaseT GBICs, newly shipped LX/SX GBICs,and SFP GBICs are security enabled.

The sh sprom? is the CatOS command used for determining manufacter details and security code.

hope it clarifies you.

Thanks,

satish

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Can you check it using following commnd.

sh controllers ethernet-controller gi0/11 phy

Please let me know if it works.

Plz rate it..

Thanks,

satish