cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Per tunnel QoS. How to apply QoS from Spokes to Hubs?

Hi;

I'd like to apply QoS in a DMVPN network. I have applied Per Tunnel QoS and the QoS from Hub to spokes is running well. The problem is when I want to apply QoS from Spoke to Hub.

In previous versions when Per Tunnel QoS didn't exist I only had to configure service-policy in tunnels, but now it isn`t available this option when the DMVPN tunnel is configured.. So, How can I apply the policy-map to tunnel interfaces in DMVPNs?

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Atri Basu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jon,

I think you'll find the following link describes in detail the procedure to map a tunnel interface to the QOS policy:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/sec_secure_connectivity/configuration/guide/sec_per_tunnel_qos.html#wp1062735

Please let me know if that answers your question, or there was something else.

Regards,

Atri.

Thank you for answering

This is what I have configured, but Per Tunnel QoS is tipically applied on Hubs in order to make different the QoS applied to different Spokes depending on their networks.

But what I want is the opposite. I want to apply the qos in spokes in order to prioiritize some traffic when it is sent to other spokes.

Theoretically it is easy, apply "service-policy output" in the DMVPN tunnel, the problem is that in new IOS versions this command is not available.

Thank you

Hey Jon,

Try attaching the service policy to physical output interface and qos pre-classify command on the Tunnel interface on the spoke side. Leave all configurations on the HUB as you already have it.Use a priority command to use low latency queueing for voice traffic (other traffic will be able to use this bandwdith when voice does not require it) something like.....

int tunnel0

qos pre-classify

class-map voice

match dscp ef

policy map enterprise

class voice

priority 256 (kbps, that may be too much)

class class-default

fair queue

The real interface would be the preferred location (in case there was other traffic besides just the one tunnel's traffic), it allows the service policy to see packet information before it was encrypted.  (An alternative approach is to rely on ToS tags, e.g. DSCP.)

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Atri.

Hi,

But the problem is that I have more than one tunnel per physical interface, and I'd like to apply the policy to each tunnel ....

So apply the qos pre-classify command on the Tunnel interface on the spoke side for which you want to do classification and leave the tunnels unclassified. Then define your policy map accordingly and map the physical interface to this policy. Make sure you provide actions for both classified as well as unclassified traffic.

This should work, let me know

Regards,

Atri.

I haven't tested it yet, but the first problem I see is that using tunnel interfaces I could apply some policies that are not possible to use in some physical interfaces (switched ports)

Hey Jon,

Which code are you running? the "ip nhrp group" command which is used to map an nhrp group to a QoS policy is still available in 15.0 code.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CLILookup/cltSearchAction.do?Application_ID=CLT&IndexId=IOS&IndexOptionId=123&SearchPhrase=%22*%22&Paging=25&ActionType=getCommandList&Bookmark=True

Regards,

Atri.

Hi Atri

I am using 15.1, and yes, this command is available in 15.1. But this command is to associate some policies in the HUB to spokes depending on the characteristics of the network the spokes have.

But what I want is to appy QoS to spokes, when I want more than one tunnel through a physical interface, and having into account all these types of QoS which are possible to use through a tunnel and not through some types of physical interfaces.

In 12.4(15)T and 12.4(20)T it was easy:

interface tunnel XXX

service-policy output

The problem is that service-policy command is disabled in this version when DMVPN and Per Tunnel QoS are configured....

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: