cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515e doesn't fail back to primary

boondocker
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 515e firewalls setup for failvoer and a serial failover cable between. When the primary has a failure the secondary takes over, when the primary comes back to a normal state the secondary continues active. Should the primary not "preempt" the secondary and become active because of the special cable joining the two?

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

When the failover takes place - the secondary becomes the primary firewall logically. Physcially the primary is the failover until the secondary fails or you force failover:-

failover active - on the Physical Primary firewall.

HTH>

boondocker
Level 1
Level 1

thanks,

...according to Cisco documentation the process of restoring a failed unit is manual, meaning that a command must be entered to allow the physical primary to become active again...

hostname(config)#failover reset

In my experiance that command only "resets" the failover state from failed - i.e when 2 units try to sync the config and establish failover communications and have failed previously.

This may have changed.......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: