cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Upgrade 6.3 (4) to Pix 7.0

smartin
Level 1
Level 1

This Sunday morning I'm upgrading our PIX to version 7.0. Any problems I should look for before, during or after the upgrade.

5 Replies 5

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Grab the latest version from here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/pix-interim

and use that as it has all the latest bug fixes. There were some config change errors with earlier versions but these have all been sorted out now, so the actual config conversion should run smoothly. To see if there's any errors in your config you can run the "show startup-config errors" the first time that it boots up, this'll tell you if anything failed to be understood.

Afterwards just make sure everthing works as expected, it should be OK if you use the latest code detailed above.

Read the upgrade notes (link below) thoroughly BEFORE upgrading so you understand what you need to do. In some instances you need to upgrade from rommon and you'll need to copy the OS file over twice, so just make sure you're clear on everything before you start.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_70/pix_upgd/pixupgrd.htm#wp1135488

I'm running PIX 525 ver 6.3(4) with 256 MB RAM & 16 MB Flash so I should be OK. I'm more concerned about NAT statements & the 4 Interfaces config.

Does Cisco have a tool like "Output Interpreter" to run my current config. to see if I will have any problems with version 7.

No, but as I said there is no current known config conversion issues, they were all ironed out very early on. If you use the latest version then you should be fine. Certainly things like nat statements and interface settings are no issue during the upgrade.

Thanks Glenn !

bjssltd
Level 1
Level 1

Probably too late, but if you have aliases mapping subnet masks to names in the config, it may have problems upgrading some of the config. Remove these before continuing.