Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE with ASA5500

In an SMB Environment many of our costumers uses cheep ADSL Internet connection. The ISP´s terminates this ADSL lines with DSL Modems and we must use PPPoE to connect to the Internet. Which scenario is possible when i will use a ASA5500 to secure the customers internet connection and terminate SSL and IPSEC VPN´s. I have read that the ASA software release 7.x do not support PPPoE.

With best regards from Jena

Frank

8 Replies 8

jsteffensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frank

You are correct. For all of us which wanted to update our pix 6.3 t o7.x we were told that pppoe "was going to be supported in 7.1 not in 7.0"

This is not the case. PPPOE is not supported neighter using Pix 7.1 nor ASA 7.1 (perhaps becahse the software is pritty much the same).

Lets all sit down and wait for connectivity untill 7.2 - or 7.5 or perhaps 8.0 is released...... :-(

Greetings

Jarle

Hi Jarle,

thanks for your answer. I thought as much.

Do you know a other solution as sitting down and wait ?

It is possible to use a cisco router in front of the ASA thats terminate the PPPoE session and the ASA can although use the public IP-Address from the PPPoE Session or a fix IP-Address from my ISP.

Do you know such a scenario?

With best regards from Jena

Frank

Hi ... in fact the last release notes from April 2006 states that PPPoE is not supported on 7.1 (2). so yes you can use a router as PPPoE client and connect the PIX to one of its interfaces.

Hi, am I correct in assuming from your answer here that PPPoE is not supported in ver 7.x on an ASA5520?

Yes, you are correct. It is supposed to be supported in the next release (scheduled for "late summer" 2006? )

Greetings

Jarle

Looks like it got into 7.2.1!!!!

hello..

can anyone confirm this ?? release notes says that pppoe client is included, but has anyone worked on this ?? madube.. thanks for the info

Raj

I have done few ...

Depends on senario....

1. If the service provider give more than one public IP...then

Firewall Inside - private ip

Firewall outside - public ip

DSL - public ip

2. If 1 public ip only.

Firewall Inside - private IP

Firewall outside - private IP

DSL - public IP

Senario 1 is easy. Just enable bridge mode in DSL router.

For Senario 2, on the DSL router setting, enable one to one NAT of the DSL public to Firewall Outside interface....

For outbound connection to internet

Senario 1 is single NAT

Senario 2 is double NAT :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: