cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Premature timeout using Cisco AnyConnect with Phonefactor 2-factor authentication

gordons
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ASA 5510 that handles our vpn client traffic, and occasionally, we run into a client that, while using Cisco AnyConnect in conjunction with Phonefactor, the connection attempt will timeout before the connection actually establishes.

The odd thing is - The logs show the client finished connecting, and the Phonefactor server shows completed authentication.  We even added a custom timeout script to increase the default 12 second timeout to 30 seconds.

This behavior has proven difficult to find a common factor for, as it has affected different versions of the client, 2.3 and 2.5, as well as Windows XP, Vista and 7 installs. 

This problem does not affect our Anyconnect/RSA clients, and if the same person on the same client with the issue is migrated over to the Cisco IPSec vpn, the problem disappears.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Thanks,

Gordon

18 Replies 18

This worked for me, thanks so much I have setup my timeout to 120 secs and after I configured the server list and push the xml file to the machine the timeout take the 120 secs

It's years later and this is still an issue, even for the newer v4 Anyconnect.  I entered a hostname and tried both IP or fqdn (DNS resolvable on the internet) and it still does not work. I also tried someone else's suggestion and added a group. This also required me to set up a group url to match the alias name. I was finally able to get groups working in the client profile, but still no dice on alleviating the 12 second timeout. This is very frustrating.

I had to do this recently and figured it out.  There's another timeout you need to adjust.

ISSUE 02:  MFA users have to hit approved in MFA within 10 seconds but seems like 3 sec. or else it fails and they get prompted for pw again.

FIX 02:  ASDM > Configuration > Remote Access VPN > AAA/Local Users > AAA Server Groups > select MFA-SVR > select MFA-IP > Edit > Timeout from 10 seconds to 30 seconds (or whatever you prefer).

dclangst1
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread but we ran into it recently as well.  In our case, our 2nd factor was a third party.  It took exactly 12 seconds for you to authenticate against both factors, the phone to ring, and the keypad on a mobile device to become available.  It would time out before all that.  What we did was increase the timeout on the default context without 2 factor.  You might now have one, but we're a school and we have a number different VPN contexts.  Once users connected to the one without 2 factor with the longer time out, they were then able to connect to two factor since the default one didn't cut them off too soon.  That also gave them time to get the two-factor xml file pushed down.  Hope that helps other people.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: