cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about Clientless SSL VPN Portals

webabc123
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using the portal only for Remote Desktop RDP access, do you have to use the remote desktop plugin that works through your browser or can you also use a normal Remote Desktop RDP application running on your device once the connection is established?

Does clientless VPN through the web portal allow the same client checks for domain membership, mac address verification, certificate authentication etc that you can do when a client is using the AnyConnect client?

Do the client screening and web portal use rely on the connecting client having a Windows operating system and Java or ActiveX?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you are using the portal only for Remote Desktop RDP access, do you have to use the remote desktop plugin that works through your browser or can you also use a normal Remote Desktop RDP application running on your device once the connection is established?

You will need to use the RDP plugin.  If you want to use the normal RDP application then you would need to use the AnyConnect VPN client.

Does clientless VPN through the web portal allow the same client checks for domain membership, mac address verification, certificate authentication etc that you can do when a client is using the AnyConnect client?

It does support certificate authentication.  As for domain membership checks, do you mean in regards to client authentication when using RADIUS or TACACS+? I don't believe MAC authentication is supported.

Do the client screening and web portal use rely on the connecting client having a Windows operating system and Java or ActiveX?

For clientless VPN the operating system is not relevant, however the browser is.  I believe the supported browser are Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari.  Java is require.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa83/asdm63/configuration_guide/config/vpn_proc.html

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear.  Java is required for certain functions, but to connect to the clientless vpn it is not required.

--

--

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

You will need to use the RDP plugin.  If you want to use the normal RDP application then you would need to use the AnyConnect VPN client.

It does support certificate authentication.  As for domain membership checks, do you mean in regards to client authentication when using RADIUS or TACACS+? I don't believe MAC authentication is supported.

For clientless VPN the operating system is not relevant, however the browser is.  I believe the supported browser are Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari.  Java is require.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa83/asdm63/configuration_guide/config/vpn_proc.html

--

--

OK thanks.  With that answer, indirectly, operating system matters since Java is required.  You must have an operating system that runs Java which means no Chromebooks or Windows Surface (RT) tablets, iPads etc..

Also, you said to use an RDP client outside of the browser, AnyConnect client is required.  What about connecting with the native VPN client in Chromebooks and iOS?

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear.  Java is required for certain functions, but to connect to the clientless vpn it is not required.

--

--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: