Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP connection drop when working via WebVPN

marcelnjkoks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer using the RDP plugin via WebVPN on an ASA 5510 (running 8.2.2).

They are complaining that after ten minutes or so, the RDP connection drops. Sometimes they can connect again straight away, other times they even have to re-login the ASA WebVPN again.

I can't find any logging which explains what is going on.

Anyone with the same experience?

5 Replies 5

mulatif
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Couple of questions

1. Is the User IDLE when the connection drops Or Is he working and connection is dropped ?

2. Does he has any other applications opened at the same time through Clientless SSL and if they see the issue also ?

3. Is the problem limited to "one" User only Or ALL users are having the same issue ?

4. If problem is limited to one User then what is the difference ? E.g Different OS, Java Version etc

5. Is he using JAVA Or ActiveX to launch the plugin ? If the issue is with one method then do you see the same issue with other ? E.g. If JAVA is the problem then does ActiveX shows the same issue.

6. Are you using the latest RDP Plugin ?

Thanks,

Naman

Hello Naman,

To answer your questions (thanks for your time):

1: As far as i know the user is actively working when it happens. I will check to make sure (checked, they are).

2: They only use the RDP plugin, no other applications are running when logged on to WebVPN.

3: Several users experience the same problem. They work from different systems, mostly from home.

4: -

5: I think Java is used. How do we let it run in Active X instead?

6: Downloaded it 4 weeks ago. As far as i know there isn't a newer version? (i see the latest version is from 14/OCT/2009)

Thanks again!

Hi Marcel,

You can test with ActiveX by using Internet Explorer and making sure that ASA is added as a Trusted Site and ActiveX controls are enabled.

If you see the same issue with ActiveX then we need to troubleshoot the problem by taking captures\logs and a TAC case will be the best way to go about it.

If ActiveX works fine then maybe testing with the latest JAVA might also help.

Thanks,

Naman

Did you ever get this resolved?  We have users experiencing the exact same problem.  Our users are active and use the ActiveX RDP plugin in IE.

Thanks,

Craig T.

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I've seen that before as well.  In my case adjusting the MTU on the relevant interfaces to be slightly smaller than the default resolved the issue.  Maybe around 1460 or so.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: