Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP Plugin, Active-X, High CPU

WunderPeter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Last week I updated the software and RDP plugin in our ASA 5510 to the latest versions. Software is 8.4(3)9, to make RDP work on Windows 7 again, after Microsoft released "that" update.

On Windows 7 machines (I have tried several), CPU utilization for iexplore.exe jumps to 50%, as soon as connection is established via the Active-X plug-in. With the Java plug-in it works normally.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Peter

3 Replies 3

scott.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm the same issue with ASA 5510 running version 8.2(5)26, which was also recently upgraded to resolve the recent issues with MS updates preventing the ActiveX plug-in from operating.

This issue is affecting Servers, XP and Win7 desktops - and occurs on IE8 and IE9.

All platforms run at 50% CPU utilisation.  Citrix thin client servers run at 100% utilisation if two users try to run the plug-in !

No bugs for this particular issue found on Cisco either.

Our users are reporting the same issue having updated to the this version and I can reproduce on a clean build. 

The CPU usage of iexplore.exe is constantly at 25% on a quad-core immediately when the ActiveX client launches.  For a user with a single-core PC, the system is rendered unusable.

Is there a fix available?

Actually, just to let you know there is a bug already opened about that issue. The Bug ID is CSCua16597. As you already know  the workaround is to switch using the Java based RDP plugin with IE instead of the ActiveX, or use a Java based browser (Fifefox or Chrome).It is a priority bug and Cisco is actively working on it. We might wait for the final resolution.