Views
Helpful
Replies

Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter - Windows 7 64 bit

Pvnskc1983
Level 1
Level 1

Some details about the issue.

I'm trying to connect to my client's network using VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290. The user authetication is done by providing RSA SecureID token value. After entering proper credentials, the client window gets struck at 'Securing Communication Channels...' message in status bar and reports 'Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter' error after few mintues. I have confirmed that this version works for other people in my team , so I'm guessing it has something to do with my system settings than the client itself.

Below are the trobleshooting tips that I have already tried.

1. Uninstall and Reinstall the client.

2. Enable WinXP SP2 compatability for ipsecdialer.exe and vpngui.exe.

3. Clicking 'Diagnose' on the Citrix Virtaul Adapter connection in Networks and Sharing centre, reports no issues.

4. Enabling Network sharing for Local Area Network and disaling Wireless Networks

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Enterpise OS.

Appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

PVNSKC

Update: 9/7/2011

OK, things look much better after a good vacation, always!!!

I tried to connect today by reinstalling the client after a weekend shutdown (I don't believe the cold reboot stuff, but hey, worth a try! ) and it did work. The only change I did today was to disable the Wireless Connection adapter in Networks Connections. I'm not sure whether that fixed or not cause I had tried that already. Anyway, below is my current configuration which is working for now!

1. Below executables are running in the XP compatability mode.

cvpnd.exe, VAInst64.exe, vpngui.exe

2. Local Area Connection is allowed for 'Sharing'

3.  Registry is updated with below entry.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

4. Wireless Connection is disabled.

Thank you all for the responses.

PVNSKC

43 Replies 43

Margresse,

It worked very good. Thanks a lot !!

This worked, thank you!

jeffreyritz
Level 1
Level 1

I had recently enable Internet Connection Sharing on my Windows 7 system, and earlier today when I attempted to connect to one of my Cisco VPN profiles, I was encountering the Error "Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter" error after few mintues". 

I spent sometime reviewing and attempting some of the troubleshooting steps identifier in the Support Forum (E.G. https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2102064) threads resolving similar issues.  Yet it came to me I recently setup my wireless adapter (primary used adapter) to share it's internet connection with my Ubuntu v12.x system over a Local Area Connection (Ethernet).  After I disabled the Internet Connection Sharing on my Wireless Adapter, it resolved my problem and I was able to authenticate and login to the VPN server.

My issue is resolved, thank you for all the postings to guide me. 

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem (Windows 7 Pro x64).

Starting the "Routing and Remote Access" service (which for some reason was disabled) fixed the issue for me.

Vishal Babrekar
Level 1
Level 1

This solution worked for me too. Thank you !!

For some reason my virtual Cisco VPN adapter in the Network Connections became stuck in disabled mode. I had to manually re-enable it and then reconnect - that worked for me.

samarkhera1
Level 1
Level 1

I too had this problem and this was just driving me crazy, I found one solution after so much research and it worked like charm for me, its a registry key which needs to be modified, please see complete solution -

http://dotnetkeeda.blogspot.com/2014/10/vpn-client-failed-to-enable-virtual.html

priyamro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please make sure that your internet connection is not shared. 

vishnurnth1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, It worked !!!!.

hernaldo12
Level 1
Level 1

thanks amutreja, it works

eng.mevan
Level 1
Level 1

Fixed - Check this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TfyqNMQXhs

jvila
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've done all the steps described in this forum, but I'm try to connect I got the error Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter.

The steps done are:

1 The Cisco VPN  services is started,

2. The internet Connection sharing ICS is disable

3. Registry is updated with below entry.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

4. Open regedit and find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > CVirtA

Locate the "DisplayName" REG_SZ, edit it and delete all the text to the left of "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64bit Windows". Is done.

When I try to connect the Cisco System VPN adapter for 64 bits is not enable by itself.

My operating system is Windows 7 Professional 64 bits..

Also, I've uninstalled and installed the software a couple times but doesn't work.

Waiting your comments

Jose Vila

Regards.

Hi All,

Could someone respond my last post, I'll appreciate it so much. I did all the suggestions but doesn't work.

I delete the last windows updates and the problem persist. The version of my VPN client is 5.0.07.0440.

My IT department says that is necessary to rebuild all windows, but I thought that is the extreme solution. Any thoughts?

Waiting for your comments.

Regards.

1. Click Start and type regedit in the Search field and hit enter.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA
  3. Find the String Value called DisplayName
  4. Right click and select Modify from the context menu.
  5. In Value data, remove @oemX.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;. The Value data should only contain Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows.
  6. Click Ok.
  7. Close Registry Editor.
  8. Retry your Cisco VPN Client connection.