Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended ASA software for VPN ?

johng231
Level 3
Level 3

Hello -

We’re in the process of migrating our legacy VPN concentrators over to a pair of ASA5540s. The VPN connections we use today are L2L, RA, & easy VPN. I don’t want to jump up to 8.3 or higher just yet, due to the differences in the NAT, group-objects and ACL policies.

Would it be recommended to use an 8.2 code as standard for VPN endpoints?

Thanks -

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

You can very well use 8.2 .Right 8.3 onwards changes are there the way we configure NAT but its not very complicated to ignore latest version just because of NAT.

Just have a look on the link-http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/release/notes/asarn83.html.

You might miss some new aded features but if not using those then its all right to go for 8.2

Thanks

Ajay

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

You can very well use 8.2 .Right 8.3 onwards changes are there the way we configure NAT but its not very complicated to ignore latest version just because of NAT.

Just have a look on the link-http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/release/notes/asarn83.html.

You might miss some new aded features but if not using those then its all right to go for 8.2

Thanks

Ajay

vabruno
Level 1
Level 1

Last year I did what you are trying to do, I migrated from a pair of Cisco 3060 concentrators to a pair of Cisco ASA 5540 firewalls. I went right to 8.3 since I had to manually port the config over anyways. If you don't want to go to 8.3 just go to 8.2x and then upgrade when your ready. I wanted 8.3 because at the same time I migrated clients from IPSec VPN to Anyconnect and wanted some of the features

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I'm with vabruno on this. If you're moving onto ASA fresh from a different platform then the current version (8.4(3)) is the way to go. The new syntax will be used going forward and new features - especially advanced remote access (AnyConnect), Identity Firewall, etc  - are all on the newer code.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: