cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV 120w - Blocking Admin access on wireless AP Port

AdminMikey
Level 1
Level 1

Any suggestions on how to block port 80 http traffic to the wireless gateway addresses?

I have a RV120w setup with a LAN and  three virtual wireless access points. Each virtual AP and the LAN are in seperate VLANS with routing between VLANS turned off and in seperate subnets offering DHCP. I want one of the VAP's to be a free and open public network with no security, however I do not want any of the clients in this public wireless "zone" to have any access to the Admin login screen on the router. I attempted to block port 80 traffic to the router from clients within this subnet, but to no avail. 

The network 192.168.147.0 / 28.  The gateway address 192.168.147.1 is accessible from any of the wireless clients and I would like to turn that off somehow, as a a side note the gateway addresees for all the other VAPS are also accessible i.e 192.168.0.1 but yet routing is turned off, I am by no means an expert and documentation or forums are scarce on this new router.

Help is appreciated.

2 Replies 2

QuimaxWoods
Level 1
Level 1

I'm also looking for this, well almost. I was hoping to enable a "management" vlan that would be the only VLAN with access to the router configuration page.

In my case, I have a "Guest" wireless that's unsecured and on a seperate VLAN from the office network on which I want to block the management page. For now I'm relying on a strong password and non-default user name. Perhaps a future firmware release will enable this feature, or it's already there and no one knows where.

A management VLAN would be a good solution, I too am relying on strong Admin credentials. I have done a considerable amount of research and googling and can't find anything regarding this issue and very little about the router itself.  I have a bunch of other troubles with the Rv 120w.

Other Issues:

1. Really poor performance on my site-to-site VPN, even with encryption turned off. It's probably related to my setup and my ISP, but without a stronger community for documentation or expertise - I'm dumbfounded.  Even the admin tools in the router are poor.  Ping for instance, can only ping - you can't add any switches to the command line to change payload or timeouts or check for defragmentation.

2. CPU usage goes completely to 100% after a few days and hovers between 96-100 for no reason what so ever. I have two routers and they both do it. This may be related to the VPN issue, I'm still testing. Reboot and the CPU goes back to nothingness for a few days.

3. Firewall rules are really tough to implement/change, if you need to reorder the rules or add a new rule that needs to appear before an existing rule, you have to rewrite the entire ruleset, at least that's what I have been experiencing.

Those are my top four for now, but I'm not done trying to exploit it's capabilities. I guess that's the price for bleeding edge - waiting on firmware and hoping for fixes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: