Views
Helpful
Replies

SESSION LOGGING FROM ASA

veltech
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a need to capture session information from ASAs being used for VPN traffic. The requirement is pretty basic but in particular we need to capture information about inbound Any Connect VPNs that will then be permitted to hairpin out to the internet. The minimum information we need to log is Source IP address of VPN client connection, LAN IP allocated and then if hairpining out to the internet the public IP address allocated, and finally VPN user name. We use PRTG network monitor but not sure if this will accept session logs.

Any ideas as to how to achieve this ??

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

To my understanding if you are already sending Syslogs to a server then for the connection building/teardown messages for VPN users you should see the VPN username inside ().

The Syslog IDs are the usual IDs for connection building/teardown which are

• 302013 (TCP Build)
  • 302014 (TCP Teardown)
  • 302015 (UDP Build)
  • 302016 (UDP Teardown)

The log message format for TCP connections is for example

Error Message    %ASA-6-302013: Built {inbound|outbound} TCP connection_id for 
interface:real-address/real-port (mapped-address/mapped-port) [(idfw_user)] to 
interface:real-address/real-port (mapped-address/mapped-port) [(idfw_user)] 
[(user)]

Error Message    %ASA-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection id for 
interface:real-address/real-port [(idfw_user)] to 
interface:real-address/real-port [(idfw_user)] duration hh:mm:ss bytes bytes 
[reason] [(user)]

As you can see they contain the information about the "user" (username), "real address" (ip address the client received), "mapped address"  (public ip address to which the connection was NATed) along with information where the user connected.

EDIT: You mentioned you want to log the source address of actual VPN Connection also? For that you will probably need to look for other Syslog ID.

The information about the actual Syslog message IDs can be found here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/syslog-guide/logmsgs.html#wp4770603

Sadly, I cant really comment on the PRTG

- Jouni

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The identification information that you mention, source IP, LAN address allocated, user name, and (I believe) address used for translation are available in log records that the ASA would generate. But I am not aware of a way to trigger a log that identifies hairpin traffic.

I wonder if it would be helpful to move this thread to the VPN forum in hopes that some VPN guru might know a way to identifiy hairpin traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Yes, good idea, now moved to VPN.

Thanks,

Hi,

To my understanding if you are already sending Syslogs to a server then for the connection building/teardown messages for VPN users you should see the VPN username inside ().

The Syslog IDs are the usual IDs for connection building/teardown which are

• 302013 (TCP Build)
  • 302014 (TCP Teardown)
  • 302015 (UDP Build)
  • 302016 (UDP Teardown)

The log message format for TCP connections is for example

Error Message    %ASA-6-302013: Built {inbound|outbound} TCP connection_id for 
interface:real-address/real-port (mapped-address/mapped-port) [(idfw_user)] to 
interface:real-address/real-port (mapped-address/mapped-port) [(idfw_user)] 
[(user)]

Error Message    %ASA-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection id for 
interface:real-address/real-port [(idfw_user)] to 
interface:real-address/real-port [(idfw_user)] duration hh:mm:ss bytes bytes 
[reason] [(user)]

As you can see they contain the information about the "user" (username), "real address" (ip address the client received), "mapped address"  (public ip address to which the connection was NATed) along with information where the user connected.

EDIT: You mentioned you want to log the source address of actual VPN Connection also? For that you will probably need to look for other Syslog ID.

The information about the actual Syslog message IDs can be found here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/syslog-guide/logmsgs.html#wp4770603

Sadly, I cant really comment on the PRTG

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Thank you for your response in regard syslog. We have downloaded a trial of Kiwi Syslog and believe that the combination of your information and the syslog server will provide the information we require. So thank you for your input and help with this question.

Regards,