Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Setup router to router VPN connecting 2 windows domain networks via 2 RV042 routers

I am using 2 RV042 routers.  I have created a point to point VPN with Remote Security Group Type= Subnet, using the default IPSec settings. 

Under advanced settings-  Aggressive Mode, Keep Alive enabled.

Location A- SBS 2011 standard, Servername=SBSServer, Domainname = Smallbusiness.Local, IP address 10.1.10.50

DHCP range 10.1.10.100 to 10.1.10.175.  DNS and Print services. No WINS.  

Location B- Server 2008 R2, Sername=SBSServer, Domain name=Smallbusiness.Local, IP address 192.168.10.50

DHCP range 192.168.10.100 to 192.168.10.175,  DNS, Print Services and Remote Desktop Services.  No WINS

I am wondering 2 things.  Can I setup the VPN tunnel to route traffice between the 2 networks without changing the server names.  Leaving the servernames the same.  I have it setup that way but also had netbios broadcast enable.  If I disable netbios broadcast will that be enough for these networks to be independent of each other.  I was hoping not to have to rename the domain and there are advantages to having the same user and domain name when mapping drives between networks.  I have not needed to authenticate those drives or provide credititals for printing either. 

2) Should I change the domain name so that each network has a unique domain name or, if I change the servername of the 2008 R2 server will that essentially solve my network issues, the primary issue being that location b has clients that occasionally can not find the 2008 R2 domain controller.  After a restart the usually resolve to the correct domain controller.

Essentially what I am asking is what are the best practices to connect 2 separate Windows domain networks via a VPN and have those networks capable of file sharing to the each others domain server and printing to the network printers at both loations.

Should I have separate domain names-

Should I have separate server and computer names-

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content