Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site - Ping response times variance

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured site-to-site VPN on 2800 router. The ACL on cyprto map for interesting traffic is when router inside network communicates with the router inside network on the other end.

In this case, will a ping from one router to the outside interface of the other router going through the VPN. Coz on the IPVPN/Layer 3 MPLS when I ping the site router outside the ping response goes upto 60-80ms. However, if I ping the P router next to the site router, ping response is 4-6ms. Wondering if it is somehow creating VPN tunnel for pings between the router outsides. If there an entry where I can verify whether VPN is created for a particular source/destination pair.

Secondly, when I ping between both the inside networks, I see a lot of variance between the icmp response times. It goes like 6ms, 7ms, 22ms, 70ms, 105ms, 46ms, 7ms, timeout, 79ms, 44ms etc.

The bandwidth is 'not' fully utilized.

What could be the reason for such a variance. Is it site-to-site VPN or something else.

Regards.

1 Reply 1

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

The maximum bandwidth utilized is 6Mbps from an 8Mbps pipe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: