Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Site-To_Site_VPN

Hello everyone

My question is there a way to keep our site-to-site VPN connection up 24/7, we make a VPN connection with one our customers who has problems bringing the VPN online, and this would help everyone if we can keep the tunnel up 24/7

We current use a Cisco 5505 ASA for this tunnel running IOS 8.4.5, the customer has Juniper firewalls.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Depending on the settings,

Depending on the settings, most IPSec VPNs will allow the security associations to expire after a period without any "interesting traffic". For instance, the default for an ASA IPsec VPN is 24 hours (Phase 1 ISAMKP SAs) and 1 hour (Phase 2 IPsec SAs).

I have found in the past that one easy way to avoid ever allowing the VPN to expire is to run a small background program on a utility server. In a previous job where we had ASAs talking to Juniper Netscreens over a problematic VPN, we ran a script that sent a "tcp ping" (using the tcping Linux utility) every couple of seconds to an address across the VPN. That sufficed to keep the Phase 1 SA and at least one Phase 2 SA always active.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Depending on the settings,

Depending on the settings, most IPSec VPNs will allow the security associations to expire after a period without any "interesting traffic". For instance, the default for an ASA IPsec VPN is 24 hours (Phase 1 ISAMKP SAs) and 1 hour (Phase 2 IPsec SAs).

I have found in the past that one easy way to avoid ever allowing the VPN to expire is to run a small background program on a utility server. In a previous job where we had ASAs talking to Juniper Netscreens over a problematic VPN, we ran a script that sent a "tcp ping" (using the tcping Linux utility) every couple of seconds to an address across the VPN. That sufficed to keep the Phase 1 SA and at least one Phase 2 SA always active.

Hello,I was hoping you had

Hello,

I was hoping you had something we could use on our ASA firewall, will use the script on our server to keep the VPN sit-to-site up 24/7

Thank you for your help 

Views
Helpful
Replies