Views
Helpful
Replies

slow downloads when using VPN clients

charlie.ford
Level 1
Level 1

How can I word this?

We have had a shift in our work force and find a large number of uses now working from home. Lately (this weekend) they have been complaining about VPN client downloads being very slow. I have tested the IPSec client and the SSL client and compared  them to an Internet download on the network using the exact same laptop and the exact same web site www.speednet.net. Here at the office I see 50M, over both VPN's I see (if I am lucky) 1M, all reading within a 15 minute period and all over the same 600M pipe to the Internet

We have never noticed this before this work force shift to home. Eliminating all other factors, which we think we have, would you expect VPN clients to behave this way?

MTU is set at default from day one. The only thing we have done to VPN configuration over the last week was to add a tunnel gateway to the ASA 5540 VPN configuration which is only a hop away from the firewall inside interface.

I will provide configuration data if you request but my question is just a general one at this point. Is this normal and can you make a suggestion as to how we can improve? We are research, running wireshark on the test laptop so as the day progresses we will have more information to provide if needed.            

1 Reply 1

Dear Charlie,

Thanks for your problem description.

Please install an FTP client  on the client machine and perform an FTP transfer across the tunnel.

During this attempt, run Wireshark on the VPN adapter.

Check this capture, verify if there are any TCP retransmissions, loss-packets, drop-packets, fragmentation issues. Verify the TCP MSS and adjust it on the Router (in case fragmentation is seen).

Let me know.

Thanks.