Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Some Site to Site VPN questions

When you have an ASA to ASA Site to Site VPN, you do have to configure the routes you want to transverse the tunnel in the routing table with a gateway of the device on the other side correct?

Also does each side have to match the exact subnets within the crypto domain? For instance if I have defined two subnets 10.10.10.0/24 and 10.100.100.0/24, the other side should have those exact subnets, not just a 10.0.0.0/8 correct? If that makes sense?

2 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Hi,

When we consider routing and L2L VPN connections then we generally can presume that they are built through the interface which has the default route. We can also presume that you are not configuring a L2L VPN for a remote network that overlaps with your LAN networks. Considering both of the mentioned things we can determine that naturally any network that is not in your local network will follow the default route when the ASA is making decision about where to forward the traffic.

So generally you wont need to manually configure any additional routes on the ASA for any remote VPN networks. VPN Client connections adds routes automatically for the VPN Pool IP that is assigned to the VPN Client user. On L2L VPN connections you can configure the ASA to add the routes based on the L2L VPN connections ACL that tells the local and remote networks. In this case you will have to add the following configuration for a given L2L VPN connections

crypto map set reverse-route

This will add a route on the ASAs routing table though this wont show in the "route" configurations on the ASA.

With regards to your questions about the local/remote subnets I actually have to say that I am not 100% sure. To my understanding your ACL can have lines/rules that dont match the other side but the ACL does have to have matching local/remote subnets. Any extra lines in the ACL to my understanding dont matter, just that there is a match between the VPN peers.

I have personally never had the need to make very broad local/remote network definitions for the L2L VPN. I have always been for being as specific as I can be. Naturally a very large environment might dictate to follow another approach but I have not run into anything like that myself.

- Jouni

So adding all the remote subnets in the static route table is not needed?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content