cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSL VPN Licencing

Xiaojing Li
Level 1
Level 1

We purchase a SSL VPN license from Cisco. However, we have two firewall right now, one is testing firewall, one is production. Can we load license into testing firewall and later migrate license to production?

Can this be done?

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On your lab box you can install the eval license and put the paid license on the production box.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I assume that these are ASA firewalls. Is that correct? Cisco licenses for ASA are issued for a specific device and it is not easy to transfer the license to a different ASA. Depending on what you are testing, the ASA does come with licensing for 2 SSL simultaneous connections. Perhaps this might be sufficient for your testing?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Xiaojing Li
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we are testing using 2 license now. What we are trying to do is migrate users from old firewall to new firewall connecting to difference ISP. As IP and VPN softeware running in two firewalls are different, so we want to run parall for few weeks and let users migrate smoothly.

If we want to transfer the license is that possilble? or totally imposible?

I am not authoritative on this but I am pretty sure that Cisco would not just transfer the license but would require that you purchase a separate license. For things like RMA I believe that there is some way to transfer the license. But in this circumstance I believe that they would not transfer the license and would require purchase of a separate license.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Apply your purchased license to your new production ASA and install an evaluation license on your soon-to-be retired ASA. The evaluation license is good for 90 days. If your migration is going to take longer than that, you'll need to purchase another license. As Rick stated, the only way to transfer a license between devices is within an RMA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: