Views
Helpful
Replies

SSL VPN license calculation

tgregorics
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to purchase SSL VPN (AnyConnect) licenses for my 2901 router, and I would like to know how it is allocated.

If I purchase a 10 user license, is it allocated to 10 named user, or it's counted per concurrent users?

If a user connects from a laptop and a mobile phone at the same time, with the same username, is it counted as 2 user license, or only one?

Also, as far as I can tell, the AnyConnect Essentials license is only available for ASA, and not IOS routers. Is this still correct?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The license count uses concurrent connections, regardless of associated userid.

75 unique usernames logged in at once or one username logged on from 75 different endpoints  would either way count as 75 licenses in use. Laptop plus phone = 2 users if the connections are concurrent.

The Essentials vs. Premium distinction is unique to the ASA. The Premium-only features such as clientless SSLVPN, hostscan etc. are not available on the IOS-based SSL VPN

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The license count uses concurrent connections, regardless of associated userid.

75 unique usernames logged in at once or one username logged on from 75 different endpoints  would either way count as 75 licenses in use. Laptop plus phone = 2 users if the connections are concurrent.

The Essentials vs. Premium distinction is unique to the ASA. The Premium-only features such as clientless SSLVPN, hostscan etc. are not available on the IOS-based SSL VPN

Thank you for the clarification.

It's a shame about the Essentials not being available, since  our only reason for using SSL VPN is Windows 8 support (or the lack of it for the free ipsec client...). Would be much happier with that licensing modell, because we do not need any other feature, like clientless mode...

You're welcome.

I hear your point. The current licensing model does add expnese for certain customers. Some choose to go with a 3rd party solution like a Dell Sonicwall or Juniper SSL VPN for just this reason. Of course if you go down that path, an ASA 5512-X or such with Anyconnect Essentials is also an option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: