cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSL VPN Question

paultribe
Level 1
Level 1

I understand how SSL functions however I have a question that a customer asked and want to provide an official answer:

"If I go into an Internet Cafe and access my SSL VPN portal, what information about my transactions could be left on the Cafe PC"

In essence, other than the obvious risks such as downloading a file to th Cafe PC and leaving it or not logging out of your session, the question is what footprint is left behind when accessing a VPN portal from a general public resource.

If anyone knows of an official documentation on this please let me know.

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paul,

That's exactly what the Secure Desktop feature is designed for.

To allow SSL clientless connections from public spots and protect the data by not leaving any information on the computer.

Federico.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Paul,

That's exactly what the Secure Desktop feature is designed for.

To allow SSL clientless connections from public spots and protect the data by not leaving any information on the computer.

Federico.

Thanks for your response, however the problem with CSD is you need to install either VAULT or cache cleaner, I wander how many public resource PCs have local admin rights,I know there is the host scan but that appears very cummbersome.

What do you think.

I might be incorrect, but you can install SD on the client machines without admin rights?

With clientless SSL there's no endpoint security scanning by default, but you can use SD.
SD is pushed down to the client and performs client-side preconnect assesment.
An encrypted hard drive partition is created for the user to work in.
At logout, the virtual desktop that the user has been working in is removed,
and the user is notified.

The cache cleaner provides for disabling or erasing of all data that was
downloaded.

The host scan can scan files, registry, process with DAP.

Federico.

I did some testing and you definately need some form of admin rights to install cache cleaner and SD. The host scanning givesthe ability to search for files and processes so again  guess you could scan for AV programs etc but this would not help removing the security foot print from the "public" PC (for example temporary internet files etc). Nevertheless using SD I guess you can enforce a policy that prevents users from using SSL VPN unless they are able to install cache cleaner or SD.

Thanks for your responses.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: