cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSL VPN, Shall i use it ?

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i am completely novice to SSL VPN but they seem really good. Actually right now we are using Easy VPN to allow some ppl from other country to log in to our network and use the resources. They usually take Remote desktop and/or Dameware. If i use SSL VPNs will these utilities still be available to remote clients ? i am using 3845 advsecK9 router as my VPN server. I want to use SSL VPN after someone can confirm me if this is possible or not ?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

sadbulali
Level 4
Level 4

You can use SSL VPN for the remote desktop in the same way as you are using Easy Vpn.Cisco SSL VPN solutions give you a flexible and secure way to extend network resources to virtually any remote user with access to the Internet and a Web browser. The Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA 8.0) provides premium SSL VPN functionality to increase the ease, security, and control of SSL VPN connections.Remote access based on SSL VPN delivers secure access to network resources by establishing an encrypted tunnel across the Internet using a broadband (cable, DSL) or ISP dialup connection.

SSL vpn configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6586/ps6657/product_data_sheet0900aecd80405e25.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6657/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

My understanding is the IOS Routers will only do the SSL Gateway, which essentially acts as a proxy for specific protocols such as HTTP, HTTPS, CIFS, etc.

To do Remote Desktop, the clients would need to be AnyConnect and the server must be an ASA running version 8.X code.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is not correct. IOS Routers can do full-tunnel SSL VPN. The IOS 12.4(15)T supports AnyConnect Client 2.1 (new Cisco SSL VPN client).

However, don't use it due to performance reasons and router load. Use Cisco VPN Client instead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: