Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

To choose a router/firewall or a firewall with DMZ

I have the following questions regarding to (Cisco's) router and firewall:

1) There are two kind of firewall:the standalone firewall (hardware) and the firewall embedded in a router (software based). Is the cml (command line coding system) same for both kind of firewalls? For example, can both use these statements?:

static (dmz,outside)tcp interface 80 WWW-DMZ-IP 80 netmask 255.255.255.255)?

2)If it is YES to Que #1, can I say that

the way I learnt to code a firewall embedded in a router can also be used to code a standalone (hardware) firewall, so I do not need a new training to start with, correct?

3) Could you please recommend entry level (lower end) router(s) that comes with a firewall and also support DMZ?

4) Could you please recommend entry level (lower end) standalone firewall (hardware) that supports DMZ?

Many thanks.

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: To choose a router/firewall or a firewall with DMZ

1. no. the os is completely different.

2. if one understands the logic behind either the router with firewall feature set or the pix, then the one should have no drama in picking up the differece. the commands are definitely different, but quite similar.

3, 4. really most of the cisco router supports firewall feature sets, so as long as the router has more than 2 interfaces, it can be used for dmz. with pix, 515e is the lowest with more than 2 interfaces.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content