cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer VPN SSL from 5505 to 5510?

NeverOutofTune
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to purchase a 10-pak SSL license(ASA5500-SSL-10), install on a 5505 and then later transfer it to a 5510?

3 Replies 3

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Yes it is possible to purchase 10-pak SSL license.All Cisco ASA 5500 Series appliances include maximum IPsec concurrent users in the base configuration of the chassis. All SSL VPN features are included under a single feature license. Every Cisco ASA 5500 Series model can support SSL VPN through the purchase of an SSL VPN license. SSL VPN on the Cisco ASA 5500 Series may be purchased under a single part number as an edition bundle, or the chassis and SSL VPN feature license may be purchased separately.

The edition bundle part number for 10 SSL VPN user is “ASA5505-SSL10-K9”.To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page.

I understand about purchasing the VPN SSL license. My question is: can a license purchased for a ASA 5505 be later transferred to a ASA 5510 if a customer upgrades their hardware?

My experience has been no you can not and the reason being that there is no way for Cisco to actually ensure its removed since the key is based on the serial number.  I am dealing with a very large scale deployment so we are going the 'Shared Server' and 'Participant'  license route.