cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade of ASA5520 Suggestions

rpastrana
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have 2 ASA 5520, are we are thinking of upgrading them from ASA 8.4(5) and the ASDM 7.0(2), the device it's a 2GB Ram, with a Intel Pentium Celeron 2GhZ. I was wondering which version was the most stable, we are having an increased of client with Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10. We are not sure to install version 9.1(X) or the 8.4(7). What changes are in the version 8.4(7) against the 9.1(X). Will it affect the web interface? We haven't seen it in the release notes, and we're not sure if would it change drastically.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The word I heard from TAC is the latest 9.x release is the most stable. This is what I remember from the TAC Security podcast - it was either episode 31 or 37 I'm not positive. That's what we've been deploying a good bit lately.

When you say client, do you mean remote access VPN clients? If they're running AnyConnect, that upgrade is separate from the ASA and ASDM image. You can upgrade the AnyConnect image on even an older ASA software. If they're running clientless SSL VPN, the user interface is updated a bit with the newer ASA code.

In any case you should run the latest ASDM (7.1(4) as of now).

You can run an 5500X series on 8.6 BTW, unless it has the CX which requires 9.1.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

From talking with my CCIE Security buddies, they all say 8.4 is the most stable. But if you get a X series ASA, you will have to install the 9.x code.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The word I heard from TAC is the latest 9.x release is the most stable. This is what I remember from the TAC Security podcast - it was either episode 31 or 37 I'm not positive. That's what we've been deploying a good bit lately.

When you say client, do you mean remote access VPN clients? If they're running AnyConnect, that upgrade is separate from the ASA and ASDM image. You can upgrade the AnyConnect image on even an older ASA software. If they're running clientless SSL VPN, the user interface is updated a bit with the newer ASA code.

In any case you should run the latest ASDM (7.1(4) as of now).

You can run an 5500X series on 8.6 BTW, unless it has the CX which requires 9.1.

Im running a ASA5555-X, I have run in to alot of bugs and problems with unit. Something I never expirienced with the ASA5505 up to ASA5550. But its a powerfull unit.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate as helpful, if that would be the case. Thanx