cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Username Retained in AnyConnect Client Username Dialog Box

strakamar
Level 1
Level 1

I have one issue remaining on my anyconnect client 2.5.2006. The username in the dialog box is cached. We do not want it to be cached and have users enter their username each time.

Shilpa Gupta Mentioned this on another post of mine. Just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts! The 2.5.2006 client resolved another issue I was having so going back to 2.4 is not an option at this point.

For clearing up the credentials in the dialog box when using AnyConnect I found one of the bug:-

CSCsx76993

Symptom:

User  credentials are cached in preferences.xml  file when using Anyconnect  client.  So when they relaunch Anyconnect,  the username appears in the  client.

Conditions:

This is seen in all anyconnect clients.  This is a configurable option in the IPSec client.

Workaround:

Currently there is no workaround

And  i can see it is resolved in 2.4.202 however i am not sure if its  resolved in 2.5 also. For this i would like to hear from others.

Regards,

Shilpa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

All bugfixes and new features in 2.4.x are also in 2.5.

However the 'bug' Shilpa pointed to, is not really a bug but an enhancement request, in other words in 2.3 and earlier the username being cached was expected behavior, and it is still the default behavior in the 'fixed' versions, so simply upgrading will not change anything. What changed is that now you can modify the behavior by setting a new parameter RestrictPreferenceCaching in the local policy file  :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect25/administration/guide/ac04localpolicy.html#wp1055429

So adding e.g.

All

to your local policy should achieve what you want.

hth

Herbert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

All bugfixes and new features in 2.4.x are also in 2.5.

However the 'bug' Shilpa pointed to, is not really a bug but an enhancement request, in other words in 2.3 and earlier the username being cached was expected behavior, and it is still the default behavior in the 'fixed' versions, so simply upgrading will not change anything. What changed is that now you can modify the behavior by setting a new parameter RestrictPreferenceCaching in the local policy file  :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect25/administration/guide/ac04localpolicy.html#wp1055429

So adding e.g.

All

to your local policy should achieve what you want.

hth

Herbert

Thanks Herbert that did it.

I modified the local xml and poof no more cached credentials.

If I read the article correctly this cannot be pushed down by the asa. I am going to have to do it through our software delivery system. It would be nice if it was in the profile that gets pulled down by the asa.

Purhaps in future releases.

Once again thank you for your quick and informative reply.