Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Between PIX 515e IOS 6.x and ASA 5510 IOS 7.x

yquirion_
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

I want to setup a tunnel between a PIX 515e using IOS 6.2 and a ASA 5510 with IOS 7.0.

After setting up the tunnel both site (the two devices are in the same room for now), the tunnel never goes up. If I use the same PIX 515e with a PIX 501 it works. The ASA with the PIX 501 doens't work either. I'm suspecting there is something different between the two OSs.

There is a setting to permit a tunnel between ASA IOS 7.0 and PIX IOS 6.x?

Thanks in advance,

Yanick

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CLI and config in v7.0 changed significantly from 6.x. Specifically, when defining a VPN tunnel you need a new "tunnel-group" command to define the pre-shared key under. See the v7.0 documentation here for details:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_70/config/site2sit.htm

Thank you for your answer.

I'm using the wizard to create my tunnel. The command "tunnel-group" are already there. We also used the VPN wizard with the PIX 515e IOS 6.2.

Is it possible that VPN Tunnel are not compatible between device that run IOS 6.x and IOS 7.x?

Thank you again.

Yanick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: