Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 5.0.07.0440 "Connected" but Not Working

noviceuser123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT: The client appears to be connected. It shows a locked lock and says connected but pinging shows nothing is working too.

I've recently tried, unsuccessfully, to connect my win7 64bit laptop to my workplace with the VPN Client 5.0.07.0440. All the technitians and support staff could not figure out the issue that prevented successful connection. I later was able to successfully connect from my same home network via an older, winXP, laptop using VPN Client 5.0.07.0410-k9.

What could be the problem with the Win7 system? Working on my old laptop is a temporary solution but not a good one. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

I have tried:

-Allowing every access to Cisco VPN client on my ZoneAlarm firewall.

-Disabling the firewall completely.

-Connecting from a different network (at an internet cafe).

The support staff at work says it is not the network (they checked my wifi router settings too just in case) since my old computer obviously connects with no issues on the first try.

ANY ideas would be much appreciated!

Here's the info again:

-Cisco VPN Client 5.0.07.0440

-Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit.

My security software (that may be causing the problem for all I know, even though I shut off ZoneAlarm):

-Zone Alarm free firewall

-Microsoft Security Essentials.

(perhaps windows firewall too, if it restarts automatically when i shut off zone alarm)

IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT: The client appears to be connected. It shows a locked lock and says connected but pinging shows nothing is working too.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

VPN client traffic isnt forwarded from your computer to the VPN tunnel at all.

That is if you have even tried the connecting to the remote server before you took that screenshot?

Id say this is a problem with your computer. Either some software is causing problems for the VPN Client or the VPN Client software has problems with the actual network adapter or something similiar.

One thing I could suggest is uninstalling both the firewall software and the VPN Client. After this just install the VPN Client and try to connect and check the same statistics as in the above pictures.

- Jouni

EDIT: Whoa 300 posts already

EDIT2: Usually if you have a full tunnel VPN your computer should generate connections to the VPN tunnel even if you arent manually connecting to anything. This makes it even stranger that there is absolutely no traffic on the tunnel. The full tunnel VPN means that all traffic from your computer is forwarded to the VPN tunnel when its active.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

noviceuser123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is your laptop always connected through wireless network?

Could you try connecting with a wired connection with your new laptop?

The old Cisco VPN Client has it shares of problem when you are using a wireless connection. Mostly the problem appear when you are using a separate device attached to the computer to provide the wireless connectivity.

I haven't had to deal with this problem for some time now as most of our users have already changed to use the AnyConnect SSL VPN Client.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni (and anyone),

First of all thanks for the reply and assistance. Unfortunately this didn't work either.

The VPN Client keeps saying it's connected and then I try using Remote Desktop to connect to my office computer I receive this error below.

I know the problem is not in my office network since I'm able to connect from the same place using the old XP computer with the same addresses, passwords etc. (the settings are identical on both machines/vpn clients - we checked every line in every tab and every checkbox). The in house tech support says it is not a problem with Remote Desktop either since he also tried to Ping several addresses in the office network through the Command Prompt and the requests "could not find the host" (which is exactly the same as the error Remote Desktop returns if my limited understanding is correct, right?).. 

Any other ideas would be grately appreciated!

Hi,

Are you connecting with DNS name or an IP address?

If you are using a DNS name can you directly connect using the actual IP address?

Can you ping the server/host IP address when connect through the VPN Client?

Can you check the VPN statistics to see if there is any return traffic from your office network.

The window should look something like this (greyd out for me since I'm not connected while I took screen capture) Take a look at the statistics to see if traffic is going both ways.

Can you also check the following window on your VPN Client when the VPN is active. What can you see in the Secured Routes section?

What is the device model that handles the VPN at the office? Does someone else manage it?

Most of this is just guessing game but sometimes its enough to realize what the actual problem is I'd imagine this has something to do with either your new computer or the remote end server.

Is there anyone else with the same setup expiriencing these problems?

- Jouni

Hey,

Are you connecting with DNS name or an IP address?

IP address.

If you are using a DNS name can you directly connect using the actual IP address? -----

Can you ping the server/host IP address when connect through the VPN Client?

-pinging the server address resulted in "request timed out". the support guy gave me his work ip address to ping and also names like "intranet" to ping but all returned the "could not find" error (so just the server alone said "request timed out" and the rest gave the other error).

Can you check the VPN statistics to see if there is any return traffic from your office network.

see images below.

What is the device model that handles the VPN at the office?

Unfortunately I don't know but I can ask.

Does someone else manage it?

someone else -the same person I will have to ask the previous question

Is there anyone else with the same setup expiriencing these problems?

No. Actually not many people at working in my organization are given VPN access but I know of one colleague who connects from home with no issues - he installed the same client I installed and also has Windows 7 64bit. The major difference between our conditions was that I had different security software but then I disabled it all and still 'no go'... Another difference is that I am currently trying to connect from abroad (which brings me back to the hassle of my old laptop being dragged along) while he hasn't tried that yet. But that doesn't matter since the old XP laptop is indeed connecting fine from here.. but I need a permanent solution, of course, as I will be here for a while.

and guessing games usually help. if notthing else they rule out possibilities! I really appreciate the help Jouni!

Hi,

VPN client traffic isnt forwarded from your computer to the VPN tunnel at all.

That is if you have even tried the connecting to the remote server before you took that screenshot?

Id say this is a problem with your computer. Either some software is causing problems for the VPN Client or the VPN Client software has problems with the actual network adapter or something similiar.

One thing I could suggest is uninstalling both the firewall software and the VPN Client. After this just install the VPN Client and try to connect and check the same statistics as in the above pictures.

- Jouni

EDIT: Whoa 300 posts already

EDIT2: Usually if you have a full tunnel VPN your computer should generate connections to the VPN tunnel even if you arent manually connecting to anything. This makes it even stranger that there is absolutely no traffic on the tunnel. The full tunnel VPN means that all traffic from your computer is forwarded to the VPN tunnel when its active.

Congrats on 300! I thank you on behalf of the other hundreds of people you've helped!

So, I did try connecting to the remote server beforehand. Will try reinstalling both the firewall and the VPN client. Humor me for a sec with some other idea I just had if you can. Another institution I'm affiliated with uses Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. I can download that client via my login to their system. Would this help or if the IT guy gave me Cisco VPN Client 5.0.07.0440 does it means I can only use it or it's "family" of versions to connect? If I can use it somehow, is it even legal or can I only use it with the logins the other institution gave me to their network? I won't try it until I know it can work and is allowed, of course...

Hi,

You cant use the AnyConnect Client connecting to your current VPN endpoint (OR atleast I PRESUME this)

Its possible on Cisco device to configure it to accept both the old IPsec VPN client and the new AnyConnect SSL VPN Client. This depends on the device model you are using for VPN and ofcourse the way the VPN is configured.

I would suggest if in anyway possible to move to the AnyConnect SSL VPN Client with the new Windows 7 OS.

AnyConnect helps with alot of similiar problems.

Also the VPN Client you are using will cease to have software updates after this summer. It has had its End of Sale / End of Life

You can check that in the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5743/ps5699/ps2308/end_of_life_c51-680819.html

I'd imagine though someone else will have to make the decision to move to the AnyConnect. And even then you will have to make sure if your VPN device is suited for it.

Oh and please rate if the above solution (earlier post) corrects the problem. If not will have to think of something else :/

- Jouni

Hey Again,

Nope. Reinstallation did not change a thing. I'm getting really frustrated here! Could it be a clash between other programs I have installed that are not security related? Could the port be used by something else? I really have no idea what I'm talking about, do I?

SOLVED!

uninstalled the VPN client and then reinstalled it when the firewall was completely disabled (exited the software). Now it works even when the firewall is on.

Meaning the problem was DURING the installation process.

THANKS A MILLION JOUNI!!

Hi,

Great that its working

I think in the past (before I came to my current work) there was a similiar situation with the Cisco IPsec VPN client and a widely used firewall software here in Finland that was really really picky about which software you installed first.

Glad it got sorted with this and you can now stop "banging head on the wall"

- Jouni

Hello everyone 

I Need Help. I configured remote vpn settings on my cisco router 1812 . I can connect to the VPN successfully but no internet access and Lan access . I attached the VPN client statistics.

Scanned_1606410024989.jpg

Scanned_1606409992329.jpg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: