cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client doesn't work with Windows 7 laptop

shaminda1
Level 1
Level 1

I have VPN Client installed on a Windows XP laptop and a Widows 7 laptop. On both laptop it shows that I am connected. (At the bottom the padlock is locked). On the Windows XP laptop I can get to our company network drives and remote to severs. But on the Windows 7 laptop I cannot to our drives or to our serves. What is wrong with my Windows 7 laptop? Is there something blocking on my Windows 7 laptop?

14 Replies 14

Shilpa Gupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

What is the version of the VPN client that you are using on win 7?

After getting connected, are you able to ping any of the host on the inside network?

Is there any firewall or antivirus installed on win 7 ? Can you please disable them and try again.

Thanks,

Shilpa

The firewall was on. I will turn it off and give it try.

Hello,

What version of the VPN client are you using?  Also, if you right click on the lock and choose statistics and then route details, then we can see what you are getting for routes.  Windows firewall messes with the VPN and also try changing the connection type from TCP to UDP.

Thanks and let us know what the version is and the route details.

Kimberly

Thanks and Cheers! Kimberly Please remember to rate helpful posts.

The VPN client version I have is 5.0.07.0290. I disabled the antivirus and turned off my firewall and I still cannot connect. I cannot ping anything either. I think thats how our consultant set it up. I have also selected UDP.

Namit Agarwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Are you using a WWAN card on the Windows 7 Machine ?

Thanks,

Namit

I have similar problem.

The VPN client version is 5.0.07.029.

It was working fine. After I installed the WWAN card, it did not work.

I removed the WWAN card, it still did not work.

I uninstall and re install VPN client but it still did not work.

After I removed the WWAN card and reinstall the software. I got this error message: Error 31: the certificate () associated with this connection Entry no longer exists or failed to open.

I checked the Network connections. I did not see the Cisco VPN protocol in the network connection.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

It looks like that the connection file entry i.e. the .pcf file got corrupted. Please try and recreate another .pcf file i.e. a connection profile.

Thanks,

Namit

Thank You Namit,

I copied and import the .pcf file from a running machine.

I ran the gpupdate /force and reboot machine.

I still got the same error.

I don't think this is a .pcf problem.

Thanks

Michael

Hi ,

Error 31 usually comes up when the certificate needs to be enrolled.
Go to the client 
setup the connection for group authentication.
ok (close)
go to certificates and enroll, follow the instructions and fill out the information like
url where the certificate is located.
enroll it
and then go back and change the client for certificate authentication.

Lets see if this helps
Cheers,

Namit

Namit,

I think the problem is not enrollment.

I did not see Cisco Discovery protocol Packet Driver in Local Network properties or Wireless Network Properties.

I aldo did not see Cisco DiscoveryProtocol under Cisco Systems VPN adapter.

Is there anyway to install it?

Thanks

Michael

I got it fix after deleted the computer name and IP address from DNS server.

Is there anyway that I can use the WWAN card with this version?

Thanks

Hi,

That is good news. The entry in the DNS Server could have been causing issues. The WWAN Card is not supported by the VPN Client as of now. The workaround to this will be to either setup the WWAN connection as a Dial UP Connection or use AnyConnect Client instead of VPN Client.

thanks,

Namit

Thank You,

I saw Cisco release new VPN Client .0410

Do you know this will fix the WWAN issue?

Thanks

Michael

Hi,

Yes CISCO has released the new version of VPN Client 5.07.0410. I don't see it mentioned in the release notes that it is going to support WWAN Card. The workaround to setup the WWAN connection as a Dial UP works. I have tried on a few scenarios and it has worked. Once again this is a workaround not a permanent fix. The permanent fix will be to migrate to AnyConnect Client.

Thanks,

Namit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: