cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client interfering with local LAN

jdrjdrjdr
Level 1
Level 1

My XP computer is unable to accept any LAN inbound connections (e.g. ping, share browsing, webserver) until I connect to my VPN server using Cisco's vpn client 4.0.4.

Once I've connected/disconnected to the vpn server, my computer behaves normally with all inbound connections (e.g. reponds to pings, etc).

Any idea on what causes this, and how to fix it?

Regards,

JDR

6 Replies 6

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Check the "Stateful firewall (always On)" setting in the VPN client... experiment a little bit...

Did it help?

Thanks for your response.

I've played with the stateful firewall before. I leave it off -- if I enable it, I can't connect at all.

My issue persists even if I uninstall the VPN client. It's just bizarre -- and a real pain if I can't connect to my VPN server.

Hi again,

Just to be sure... check the setting of your "Windows Firewall" which "came along" with Windows XP SP2...

Did it help?

There is a possiblity tht ur Win XP TCP stack has connect corrupt. Try resetting it using NETSH command from the Command Prompt.

I don't use the Windows firewall, so its service is disabled. If it was a firewall issue, I would think that I would never be able to connect to my computer from the LAN (rather than being able to connect after connecting and then disconnecting through VPN).

I tried running "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt", but then the VPN client wouldn't work at all (susbsystem unavailable error) and I still couldn't connect through the LAN.

I need a way to monitor what happens when I connect with VPN, and identify what change occurs -- is there any software that can do that?

tcpview may help a little bit.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tcpview.html

"TCPView will show you a detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the remote address and state of TCP connections as well as the application or process that is using the connection. In addition, you can end selected processes and close selected connections. Much improved over previous versions."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: