Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

VPN connection query

I have a Cisco VPN client for Mac and was wondering if I could use it to resolve the following issue:

I've just purchased a USB stick broadband modem for my parents who live quite a distance from me. I wanted to use a VNC client to remote access their Mac to sort out stuff for them, but the broadand company has blocked the VNC ports and won't open them. My question is:

- can I use a VPN connection (tunnel) between my Mac and their remote Mac that will bypass the broadband service's port blocking?

- if so can I create a key/certificate that I can share between the two Macs, using just the Cisco VPN client? Or is there another way to achieve this tunneling?

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN connection query

If the broadband company doesn't block UDP port 500 or 4500 and ESP then you can create a VPN tunnel to tunnel the VNC traffic through. However, you cannot just create a VPN tunnel with a Cisco VPN client to another Cisco VPN client. You have to connect the Cisco VPN client to a Cisco router or ASA firewall configured as a VPN server. Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content