cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN connection query

virtualnobody
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco VPN client for Mac and was wondering if I could use it to resolve the following issue:

I've just purchased a USB stick broadband modem for my parents who live quite a distance from me. I wanted to use a VNC client to remote access their Mac to sort out stuff for them, but the broadand company has blocked the VNC ports and won't open them. My question is:

- can I use a VPN connection (tunnel) between my Mac and their remote Mac that will bypass the broadband service's port blocking?

- if so can I create a key/certificate that I can share between the two Macs, using just the Cisco VPN client? Or is there another way to achieve this tunneling?

1 Reply 1

lawchung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the broadband company doesn't block UDP port 500 or 4500 and ESP then you can create a VPN tunnel to tunnel the VNC traffic through. However, you cannot just create a VPN tunnel with a Cisco VPN client to another Cisco VPN client. You have to connect the Cisco VPN client to a Cisco router or ASA firewall configured as a VPN server. Hope this helps.