Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Connectivity to an offline server.

merryllem
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings All,

I am trying to bring standard site to site vpn connection between two sites. Site A and Site B.

Site A has a server (SeverOne)and site B WILL have a server (ServerTwo).

Now Im trying to bring up the VPN tunnel by pinging at this point a NON-EXISTENT server (ServerTwo) from the ServerOne.

SO the question is will this tunnel come up even though the server at site B is still not online? So far my tunnel is not passing phase 1.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

SO the question is will this tunnel come up even though the server at site B is still not online?

Absolutely.. tunnel should still come up even though the host at other end does not respond.. you still should see phase 1/2 complete, and note in the output of (show crypto isakmp sa) in your firewall tunnel state as QM_IDLE and see peer tunnel address and your tunnel address.. you will only see encrypts but no decryps in the output of (show crypto ipsec sa) when sending pings to a system that is not online ... so if your tunnel makes it as far as phase1 something is wrong , either in your ike policy not matching or peer not responding..

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

SO the question is will this tunnel come up even though the server at site B is still not online?

Absolutely.. tunnel should still come up even though the host at other end does not respond.. you still should see phase 1/2 complete, and note in the output of (show crypto isakmp sa) in your firewall tunnel state as QM_IDLE and see peer tunnel address and your tunnel address.. you will only see encrypts but no decryps in the output of (show crypto ipsec sa) when sending pings to a system that is not online ... so if your tunnel makes it as far as phase1 something is wrong , either in your ike policy not matching or peer not responding..

Jorge Rodriguez

I know it's been a year (almost) but thanks.. this was helpfull