cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Delay

sgoethals1
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup a Remote Access IPSec VPN connection to an ASA5510 appliance. I am able to establish the connection, however, there is a delay upwards of two minutes before I am able to ping anything on the internal network, or access resources. The statistics screen in the Cisco VPN client software shows packets being sent, but none received. After a couple of minutes, everything seems to work fine. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before?

I am using version 5.0.04.0300 of the VPN client. The ASA is running 8.0(3).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

3 Replies 3

mike_guy29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Odd one. One thing that comes to mind could be to do with routing convergence times with a protocol such as RIP? If you are not using static routes etc but redistributing the VPN address into a dynamic routing protocol (Reverse Route Injection) it could take a while for that to converge with all devices if using RIP for example.

Just a guess at that one I am afraid.

Thanks

Nothing like that at all. I used the ASDM Wizard to create the configuration on the ASA5510 for the VPN connection.

I tried a test where I performed a ping -t on one of the internal addresses once the VPN connection was established. I hav 40 timeout messages before it finally made a connection.

Well, it look like I figured out the problem, or at least know the culprit.

I tried using the VPN client on another machine in my test network, and it worked without a hitch. Within a second or two the resources became available.

The original machine I tested with (my laptop), has the Novell client loaded on it, and I am guessing that this software is somehow causing the problem. Even though I chose to log on locally, I am guessing the fact that it's loaded is causing the problem. By the way, this is an XP machine.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on it.

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: