cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN failover and balancing

battanc
Level 1
Level 1

Site A and Site B, in each site an ASA; the sites are connected through a VPN configured on the ASAs

I need to ensure high-reliability in connection.

I would add a second line, with a different provider, and configur a second VPN on the FireWall.

No problem to add the second "outside", with its "public" address (same "phisical with 2 sub-interfaces).

But the ASA accepts two VPN between the same Firewall?

Same local Network ad same remote Network ...

And how will the ASA share the traffic on the two VPN?

Can I give a kid of "priority"?

A different / better way?

6 Replies 6

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you can't configure 2 VPN tunnel with the same local network and remote network, that is not a supported configuration.

You can however configure 2 IP Addresses within the "set peer" command, one IP for the first provider and the second IP for the second provider, and remember to configure "tunnel-group" for the second provider as well with the pre-shared key.

OK, suppose in Site-A I configure 2 different remote peer (only by CLI, right?)

What about the configuratrion in Site-B, how can I configure 2 local peer (on different interfaces) with the same remote peer

Claudio

On site-B, you can terminate the VPN on 2 interfaces, and configure SLA monitor to monitor the 1st ISP, and when ISP 1 is down, you can failover to the second interface with ISP 2.

But doing so, only Site-B has high-availability (using two interfaces, based on different provider), Site-A has a single-point-of-failure, using only ONE interfaces (only one provider).

Did I understand right?

You can configure the same as Site-B on Site-A.

Do you have some example of configuration?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: