Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Gateway with traffic filtering

I am working in the lab on a small scale setup in which client PC establishes a IPSEC VPN with a Cisco 1921 Router, i have two questions in this regard.

(1) For Wireless clients PC's, Is using an IPSEC VPN Client the best possible option or should i prefer other options. the wireless clients also use Radius server for authentication.

(2) i want to ensure that no other traffic can access or pass the LAN interface other than the Client VPN traffic, what do i need to configure on the Router to ensure that no other traffic can pass other than the VPB traffic.

• VPN
Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

First: The actual IPsec VPN

First: The actual IPsec VPN client is the AnyConnect. The VPN gateway-config for AnyConnect (especially for IPsec) on the IOS-router is much harder then it is on the ASA. If you still have the possibility to change the gateways, then go for an ASA.It's also much cheaper from a license perspective as there is no AnyConnect Essentials License for the router. The traditional Cisco VPN Client is EOL and you shouldn't start a new deployment based on that.

Your questions:

(1) All VPN-Users have to be authenticated somehow. Sending the authentication-request to a central directory is a best-practice and usually done with RADIUS. Additionally to the authentication you can also perform an authorization to control which rights a VPN-user gets.

(2) If you only want to allow IPsec-traffic, you need to configure an access-list, with permits for UDP/500, UDP/4500 and IP/50 to your router-IP. With that config, all other traffic will be dropped.

-- Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni
3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

First: The actual IPsec VPN

First: The actual IPsec VPN client is the AnyConnect. The VPN gateway-config for AnyConnect (especially for IPsec) on the IOS-router is much harder then it is on the ASA. If you still have the possibility to change the gateways, then go for an ASA.It's also much cheaper from a license perspective as there is no AnyConnect Essentials License for the router. The traditional Cisco VPN Client is EOL and you shouldn't start a new deployment based on that.

Your questions:

(1) All VPN-Users have to be authenticated somehow. Sending the authentication-request to a central directory is a best-practice and usually done with RADIUS. Additionally to the authentication you can also perform an authorization to control which rights a VPN-user gets.

(2) If you only want to allow IPsec-traffic, you need to configure an access-list, with permits for UDP/500, UDP/4500 and IP/50 to your router-IP. With that config, all other traffic will be dropped.

-- Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thank you for your

Thank you for your comprehensive response.

VIP Purple

Some add-ons:(1) Instead of a

Some add-ons:

(1) Instead of a VPN, a strong WLAN-authentication with WPA2-Enterprise could also be deployed. From a security-perspective that is also very strong and probably easier to deploy.

(2) Before your clients can start an IPsec-VPN, they need to get an IP-address. If the DHCP-server is located behind or on the router, the ACL also needs to allow the DHCP-traffic.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.