cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN - iPad and Facetime

gizbri
Level 1
Level 1

Need clarification on functionality of the iPad, Facetime and VPN.    

We are testing VPN using iPads running 5.0.x

The VPN policy does not allow split tunnel, local lan access and has a filter to access one port on a dmz server.

When a 2 users have a facetime session running then establish a VPN connection the facetime continues to run

If they initiate the VPN first, they cannot connect to facetime, as I would expect.

Shouldn't the facetime access get cut off when the VPN is established ?

Thanks

Brian

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Brian,

Well in the normal sense yes - I am not an expert on the iPAD.  But I would assume that the iPAD only starts to encrypt/decrypt "New" sessions once the VPN connection is made.  Exisiting TCP connections are bypassed, which sounds like what is actually happening based on your observations.  This does not happen on normal Cisco VPN Client connectivity. 

Can I ask how you are running Cisco VPN ver 5.0 I was under the impression that the only VPN client that cisco provided for the iPAD was the AnyConnect SSL Client?

Andrew - thanks for the response. The version 5.0 I was referring to was the iPad version, not VPN sorry for the confusion.

That appears to what is happening, I would have thought it would have been cut off once connected to vpn

Ahh OK

I would have thought so to - however my exposure to the iPAD VPN software client is very limited so cannot comment 100% on how it operates and the features supported.