Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Logs

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

I wanted to know is there a way through ASDM to look at if a user was connected to the network over the weekend and if so for how long.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

uwkleinh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can enable logging in ASDM under 'Monitoring' with a severity of 4 or higher and you should see some syslog messages:

4|Aug 23 2010|14:28:33|113019|||||Group = IPSEC-RA, Username = ipsec-ra, IP = x.x.x.x, Session disconnected. Session Type: IPsec, Duration: 0h:01m:46s, Bytes xmt: 540, Bytes rcv: 576, Reason: User Requested

On the CLI:

'show log | i ASA-4-113019'

%ASA-4-113019: Group = IPSEC-RA, Username = ipsec-ra, IP = x.x.x.x, Session disconnected. Session Type: IPsec, Duration: 0h:01m:46s, Bytes xmt: 540, Bytes rcv: 576, Reason: User Requested

CLI command would be:

'logging enable'

'logging asdm informational' (for ASDM)

'logging buffered informational' (for CLI buffer logging)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

CY1234
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You could look at the buffer config you have and see if you have logs stored, internal buffer can only store upto 1MB but by default it is 4KB unless you change it. Depending on the chattiness of your device i would say the old logs are probably gone. So to answer your question it is not possible to look at this info. if you have a external syslog server like MARS then you could probably get this info.

hope this helps.

Thanks,

--Sunil

Thanks

uwkleinh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can enable logging in ASDM under 'Monitoring' with a severity of 4 or higher and you should see some syslog messages:

4|Aug 23 2010|14:28:33|113019|||||Group = IPSEC-RA, Username = ipsec-ra, IP = x.x.x.x, Session disconnected. Session Type: IPsec, Duration: 0h:01m:46s, Bytes xmt: 540, Bytes rcv: 576, Reason: User Requested

On the CLI:

'show log | i ASA-4-113019'

%ASA-4-113019: Group = IPSEC-RA, Username = ipsec-ra, IP = x.x.x.x, Session disconnected. Session Type: IPsec, Duration: 0h:01m:46s, Bytes xmt: 540, Bytes rcv: 576, Reason: User Requested

CLI command would be:

'logging enable'

'logging asdm informational' (for ASDM)

'logging buffered informational' (for CLI buffer logging)