cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn module ?

fran19422
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, excuse my newbie ignorance, but I have come across an 867VAE router with a "VPN module".

Can someone please explain what this VPN "module" is.

I now what VPNs are and that they are configured via CLI but what does it mean by "VPN module" ?

Thanks for clarification

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I correct in assuming that you understand that VPN protects traffic by using encryption for the data? And am I correct in assuming that you understand that encryption would create significant processing load on the CPU if the calculation for encryption was done in the CPU?

If so then it will be easy to explain to you that the VPN module that you ask about is intended to reduce the CPU load by doing the calculation for encryption in a hardware module rather than depending on the CPU for it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I correct in assuming that you understand that VPN protects traffic by using encryption for the data? And am I correct in assuming that you understand that encryption would create significant processing load on the CPU if the calculation for encryption was done in the CPU?

If so then it will be easy to explain to you that the VPN module that you ask about is intended to reduce the CPU load by doing the calculation for encryption in a hardware module rather than depending on the CPU for it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick