Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN on ADSL router

jain.nitin
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Can any one let me know hot to configure remote access vpn or SSL vpn on 2800 ADSL router with DYNDNS as I dont have static public IP, its dynamic IP so it gets change everytime.

Thanks

NK

6 Replies 6

Patrick.Beaven
Level 1
Level 1

I setup DMVPN or you can setup an easyvpn for dynamic peer addresses. I assume that the 2800 is going to be a remote. If not It may be very difficult because of your pppoe/dhcp lease times. You may call your provider and ask for a static reservation with pppoe/dhcp.

I have a few sites that have to be setup this way because the provider wouldnt give me a static Ip. The docs for easyvpn and DMVPN are all found at CCO.

Good Luck,

Patrick,

I have a document I put together for setting up DMVPN between Cisco router's using DSL. Send me you email address and I'll forward you the document.

Regards,

Brandon Roberson

mbroberson1@comcast.net

Hi Brandon, I want to implement Client VPN so that user can connect remotely via cisco vpn client & head end is ADSL router with dynamic public IP. Can DMVPN fullfil my requirement ? If yes, How? my ID is jainknitin@gmail.com

Thanks

NK

Yes, you can do this, but I believe this can only be accomplished with getting a static IP address for that ADSL modem. What model of DSL modem and router do you have? Typically the senario would be to have a ADSL modem with a public static ip address and the cisco router behind the ADSL model connected via one of the cisco router ethernet ports.

Hi Patrick, Thanks for your reply. Here I am talking about Remote Access VPN not site to site or peer to peer vpn. I have to setup a vpn so that laptop users can connect to network using cisco vpn client. ISP is not giving me static IP or reserving the IP in any case. I already discussed with them.

So please let me know how can I do this, if you have any idea.

I have never used the Ra-vpn with DYNDNS but I have used it with standard dns and it will work fine with that. By just adding the FQDN name instead of the IP address on the client software. I have setup many sites with static ip and the RA-VPN.

The only problem that you could have Is the lag time between an ip change and a dns update and when the ip changes its going to disconnect any users that are currently connected to the vpn.