Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN PIX-Netscreen - Syslog Warnings

hwolfgruber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

we have a Site2Site VPN-connection between a PIX501 (6.3(5)) and a Netscreen.

The tunnel is terminated by Hosts, it is up and works fine.

But the PIX-Syslog write the warning

"%PIX-4-402103: identity doesn't match negotiated identity (ip) dest_addr= <PIX Outside>, src_addr= <Netscreen Outside>, prot= icmp, (ident) local=<PIX Outside>, remote=<Netscreen Outside>, local proxy=<Host PIX-Side>/255.255.255.255/0/0, remote_proxy=<Host Netscreen-Side>/255.255.255.255/0/0".

The entry is written every 10 seconds and cause a huge amount of output.

Lan2Lan-configuration instead of Host2Host comes to the same result.

We checked the configuration on both sides several times, no deviations were found.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

TIA

Hermann

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

This is the exp and the recom action which i recd from the error code debugger...i feel u need to check out the policy setting in the netscreen which mite help i out..

An unencapsulated IPSec packet does not match the negotiated identity. The peer is sending other traffic through this security association. It may be due to an security association selection error by the peer. This may be a hostile event.

Recommended Action: Contact the peer's administrator to compare policy settings.

regds

Hi

Thx, i contacted the Netscreen Admin and we've checked the configuration again point by point but found no differences.

Another Netscreen-Guy told me that this were normal behavior between a PIX and a Netscreen and i have to life with or set logging level to errors.

I can't beliefe that the two marketleading firewalls can not establish an errorfree connection.

I hope anyone here has a solution or workaround for this problem (changing logging level ist not really a solution).

TIA

Hermann

Hi,

The error description sounds like traffic other than what you would expect is trying to traverse the link. The frequency may be related to routing protocol traffic (e.g. OSPF). Just a thought.

It would be worth setting up a snoop session on the netscreen to see what traffic is traversing the link.

HTH

Cathy

This may be a matter of how Netscreen handles ICMP w/NAT. I'm running into issues with Netscreen on the other side of IPSec S2S and NAT/PAT is seeming to be one of the problems. Sending traffic w/o changing IP's.

see related

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f96.shtml

Thx for the support!

I would've preferred a solution by eliminating the cause.

Now I _solved_ the problem by suppressing 402103 events.

regards

Hermann