Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN printer

pmpesha
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

We hava a VPN printer that our IBM AIX system sends print jobs to.  Things do work Monday to Friday but not over the weekend.  I have noticed that the tunnel do expire over the weekend due to lack of interesting traffic (the users do not work on weekends). When you issue a ping, the tunnel comes back up and the printer reply on the ping successfully.  It seems like the printer alone can not generate interesting traffic.  What can I do to make the tunnel stay up over the weekend?  Thank you.

Phil. 

2 Replies 2

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Pmpesha,

The valid time argument for IPsec security association timeout is from 60 Sec to 86400 Sec ( 24 Hours ) so I dont think even the Max Value would help you for the WeekEnd. I would say set up some CronJob script on one of the Machine to initiate a Connection every 8-12 Hours and increase the crypto Lifetime.

Here's a Link a for more Help :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ftsaidle.html#wp1042288

Manish

Manish,

Thank you for your response.  I will create the CronJob and see how that goes.  Take care.

Phil.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: