Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN security

Hi,

I want to know, apart from firewall, is there any other form of security on a network?

7 Replies 7

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Lots of security-specific and non security-specific is available, example:

1. IDS/IPS - detect, classify, and stop threats, including worms, spyware/adware, network viruses embedded in network traffic, including application abuse.

2. CSA/NAC - Endpoint Security to safeguard computing devices (pc/workstation)

3. Cisco ACS - identity management

4. VPN Appliances - VPN3K, PIX/ASA, Router to provide secure IPSec tunnel across unsecure channel

5. Router with AdvanceSecurity features

Non security-specific devices like routers and switches are now embedded with security features (certain security features require license).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/index.html

HTH

AK

Can you help me out pls?

I was ask to start preparing for my final year project, and i did write about VPN, its advantages and disadvantages and how important it is to buisinesses and organization, but i was told to write to mark out the aim and how to implment it as a project research...i need some ideas

Have you checked out the SAFE page on cisco.com. It has pretty good information that should help you put together an objective for your project.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns171/ns128/networking_solutions_package.html

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

tamunoforiokuma1,

you may mention that business has to protect their intellectual data as well as comform to governement regulations in protecting their employee's personal data. A company must protect certain data from outside resources as well as inside resources.

Companies have to protect sensitive information such as non-public financial data, business planning, patents, no market strategies, etc. This is information is transmitted across private and public networks and has to be secured while being transmitted. This information may be shared amongst employees on the private network as well as with commuters, and remote branch personnel.

Certainly, one depart such as payroll doesn't need non-hr persons to see this type of data and there need some internal security to be implemented while transmitting data.

The data may be secured in one or two factions, via tunnels using clear-text transmission or tunnels using encrypted transmissions such as IPSec and GRE Tunneling.

dmoseley
Level 1
Level 1

Besides firewall protection, you have data encryption, hashing, tunneling, hardening (removing vulnerabilites) of PC's, routers, and switches through the use of filter (similar to firewalling). You have device-to-device authentication using protocols such as PPP Chap, and Pap authentication.

you can find information on these protocols

DES/3DES SHA/MD5

IPSec/GRE Auth-Proxy

VPN?s, WEP & EAP/TLS

Tacacs+/Radius IDS/IPS/IDP

URL Filtering CVP Filtering

OTP Authentication Security Auditing

Digital Certificate dot.1x & AAA

Thanks,

Can you mention one of this security system that is preferable than firwall? and a few features that firewal dont have.

thanks

T.T

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: