cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN software client & Linksys wireless

c.vachon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user that is using the cisco vpn client at home with a Linksys wireless router/4 port switch combo. If he plugs the laptop into a port on the linksys the vpn client connects with no problem. If he uses the wireless card, the vpn client does not negotiate the security policy. He has tried disabling the other NIC when using the wireless, but that has not worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

6 Replies 6

kdurrett
Level 3
Level 3

Is he using any type of wireless encryption? Might wanna turn that off he is. Check his client logs as well. There also might be an update from linksys, check there homepage make sure he's running latest version.

Kurtis Durrett

He said 3des pass through was enabled and he had to disable it, now it is working fine.

c.bacigalupi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, did you find a solution to this problem. I have a similar issue with users who are using Linksys Wireless card to connect to an AP then authenticate to a VPN3000 concentrator.

Thank you.

One of our desktop support people did a lot of testing to get this figured out.....The user has SBC/Yahoo DSL service and was using the linksys WPC11 Wireless B Network Adapter version 4 (with cisco logo) and version 4 drivers. This does not work. We had to use version 3 drivers with this card to get the vpn tunnel established, or a differnet wireless card.

One of our desktop support people did a lot of testing to get this figured out.....The user has SBC/Yahoo DSL service and was using the linksys WPC11 Wireless B Network Adapter version 4 (with cisco logo) and version 4 drivers. This does not work. We had to use version 3 drivers with this card to get the vpn tunnel established, or a differnet wireless card.

I see this alot. Rarely is it a linksys setting problem. Usually the person had a nic card (wired) when the vpn software was installed. So the "Deterministic netowrk enhancer" was bound to the wired nic, and is not to the wireless adapater once added later on. The fix to this obviously is to remove and re-install the vpn software. IF you are running an older version (say 3.6), and upgrade to the latest and greatest vpn client should fix.

I don't think this has to do with WEP, as wep does not "see" the encrypted packets (which are decrypted) at the linksys before going to the internet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: