Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN

Hi,

I am on a Vlan, trying to connect to another Vlan though a router, but coulndt establish any connections, what might seem to be a probelm

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN

Hi,

Since, you want to ping from one VLAN to another, the packets have to L3 routed or L3 Switched.

Is this a router or L3 Switch. Do you have "IP Routing" enabled on the router or switch. If this is a router, then are there any Acess-Lists that is blocking traffic.

Can you provide some additional information.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Hi,

The thing is, i have two switches being connected with a trunk, each of the switches are configured with diffrent vlans each, Vlan10 and Vlan20, i want to ping from Vlan 10 to Vlan 20, and i have one of the switch connected to a Router, cos i understand if pinging from a Vlans it goes through a Router, but still its not working, so how can i ping from a Vlan to another?

Are either of the switches Layer3 capable?

If so you need to allocate an IP address to each VLAN on that switch and enable ip routing.

If not, and you need to route through the Router, then you need to connect it to the switch via a trunk, and create sub-interfaces for each VLAN, and give them IP addresses, then turn on routing.

Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please follow Mark's suggestion for turning on routing on the switch, if you have a L3 Switch or configure trunking to the router, create sub interfaces and have the router route packets between the VLANs.

Please refer the below URL for configuration details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Regards

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content