Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vpnclient error

I have a pc with Winodws 7 (32bit) and Cisco VpnClient.

When i set Cisco Vpn Client first time, VpnClient works well, i can close vpn with on any my profile.

Same time after i can't close any vpn. I receive this error:

Reason 442: failed to enable Virtual Adapter"

My Vpnclient version is 5.0.07.0290

Can i solve this problem?

Alessio

2 Replies 2

Raphael Wouters
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alessio,

I don't know that error but I checked a bit on Cisco website, I found this document about "VPN client FAQ":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_qanda_item09186a00801c2dbe.shtml

Q. I get the "Reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter" error. How can I resolve this error?

A. The Reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter error appears after Vista reports that a duplicate IP address is detected. Subsequent connections fail with the same message, but Vista does not report that a duplicate IP address is detected. Refer...Duplicate IP Address Triggers Error 442 on Windows Vista for more information about how to resolve this issue.

This in turn link to this document with a solution, can you try that? Although it's for Vista that seems to have the same root cause in Windows 7.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client500_501/release/notes/51client.html#wp158455

Duplicate IP Address Triggers Error 442 on Windows Vista

The following error "Reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter" appears after Vista reports a duplicate IP address detected. Subsequent connections fail with same message, but Vista doesn't report a duplicate IP address detected

To work around error 442, do the following steps:

Step 1 Open "Network and Sharing Center".

Step 2 Select "Manage Network Connections".

Step 3 Enable the Virtual Adapter ("VA"—Cisco VPN Adapter).

Step 4 Right-click on Cisco VPN Adapter and select "Diagnose" from the context menu.

Step 5 Select "Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection X".

If this procedure does not work, run the following command from cmd:

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Then reboot.

This resolves the issue until Vista reports a duplicate IP address again. Follow the preceding steps to resolve it again.

If that doesn't work, you might have UAC enabled. If so, you must run cmd as administrator and repeat the previous registry workaround.

Looking in google there seems to be other reasons for that error, you may try things such as here or here.

pacsniffing
Level 1
Level 1

This worked for me, maybe you'll have the same luck.

Used program to first uninstalled the client, in this case i used advanced uninstaller. with the uninstaller cleared all settings out of registry.  the go to run prompt run regedit command, and search manually for cisco.  find all instances of cisco vpn and delete them.  then restart the machine and reinstall the vpn client. 
warning: be advised that maistakes made in your registry can severely affect your system and render it unstable so be very careful.  Also the version of the cisco vpn client that i was working with it is version 5.0.03.0530-k9