cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What's replaced the vpn concentrator?

jwa999999
Level 1
Level 1

Greenhorn here, I didn't sit any of this up.  We have three remote sites, sister institutions, that we share an app with.  We house the app.  One site has a vpn concentrator setup, the other two are using a point to point leased line. They have each have a router that connects to a single router.  They want to replace the leased lines with a vpn concentrator.  Doing the digging I see the concentrators are EOL.

So what's used to replace the concentrator today?  What's a solution today to move away from the leased lines? These are all cash poor non-profits. My guess is they'll say look on Ebay for a concentrator if the solution is too pricey.

Thanks Jim

18 Replies 18

Jim

I am pretty sure that Javier was talking about an ISR G2 router and not anything like Cisco775M-G2 ISDN Router. ISR G2 router models would include routers such as 1901, 1911, 1921, or a 2901 (which you have mentioned in a previous post). The 2811 which you have now is in the ISR G1 series and the 2901 is in the replacement series of ISR G2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Chatted with Cisco today and narrowed it down to two choices.

Cisco1921-SEC/K9 and Cisco2901-SEC/K9 with the Security technology package license.  We'll need the license for either model.

They gave me a link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10538/data_sheet_c78-556151_ps10537_Products_Data_Sheet.html

And that one led me to this one.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd8022e567.html

So I'm asking do I need to be ordering a particular bundle? Or will the standard Security technology package license cover my needs?  We have between 10 to 15 users at the remote sites, and most likely we'll only have less than 10 concurrent users at peak times.  All were wanting to do is setup a simple site to site vpn, nothing beyond that.

Thanks

Jim

The Security bundle (CISCO2901-SEC/K9 or CISCO2921-SEC/K9) is the convenient way to get the combination of router, software, and license that you will need. I do not believe that you need anything more elaborate than one of these Security bundles.

I believe that either of these would be a good choice for you. It has been a while since I looked at the specifics of these routers. My memory is that the 2921 offers more power, more interfaces, and some other advantages and would be attractive to many of us. But for what I think I understand of your requirements I believe that the 2901 would be a less expensive and quite adequate router for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick thanks a bunch for your help here.  And thanks to everyone else  also.  I appreciate you guys taking the time to help us out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: