cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What VPN Router for CISCO1841-HSEC/K9

networksavvy
Level 1
Level 1

We have a CISCO1841-HSEC/K9 which will have a T1WIC in the near future. I have experience with the 1721 models. We have another location that has a cable 1.5 connection and we would like to make a persistant VPN connection from the 1841 here at corporate(which I think has the security bundle - does this include VPN?) What router can I purchase on the other end to make this happen without breaking the budget. Will a 1721 do the trick? Are there any known documents to show how to make this happen?

Thanks all!

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Spencer

If the 1841 has the security bundle (and K9 in the image name usually means that it does) then it should have support for configuring an IPSec VPN. I have done IPSec VPN on 1841s and they work well. I have also done IPSec VPN on 1721s and they have worked well. Of course you would need a feature set on each router that supports IPSec VPNs. It is also advantageous to have the VPN accelerator in each of the routers but that is not a requirement.

This link should be a good one to get you started in understanding how to configure the IPSec VPN between routers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009463b.shtml

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick